- 1 1/2 lb Fresh minced fillet steak or ground (Steak Hache)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 4 egg yolk
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 7 cornichons (not the regular, large sweet pickle)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2-3 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Cognac or Armagnac
- 3 tbsp fine chop fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp fine chop fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, sea salt, paprika and chili powder
*Keep the steak refrigerated before use so it is cold when you mix it.
Mix together all of the liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl with the mustard, add the finely chopped shallots and cornichons, and season to taste. Add more Tabasco if you prefer your steak to have a stronger kick.
Thoroughly mix the ground/minced steak with the ingredients above. Add the finely chopped parsley and coriander. Make sure the seasoning is to your taste.
Shape the tartare on each plate with a pastry ring or with your fork. Break the eggs in two, and discard the egg white. Keep yolk in half shell and put on top of the steak to decorate. Sprinkle with a pinch of chilly and paprika powder.
Serve with a fresh green salad or roquette salad and french fries.