Maltagliati with braised oxtail in black vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- approx 2.5 lb - 2.7 lb Oxtail, (Olivier's has them trimmed and cut portion)
- 6 cups Beef stock
- 3.5 oz each Chinkiang black vinegar and Pun Chun sweet vinegar. (Chinkiang vinegar, a Chinese black rice vinegar, and Pun Chun sweet vinegar are available from Asian grocers)
- 2 each star anise and cinnamon quill
- 1 piece of orange peel
- 1.5 lb fresh lasagne sheets, torn
- 1.75 oz butter, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 300F. Heat olive oil in a casserole over medium-high heat and sear oxtail in batches until golden brown on all sides. Return all oxtail to pan, add beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover pan and place in oven until meat is falling off the bone (2Â½ -3Â½ hours, depending on size). Strain, reserving oxtail and returning liquid to casserole, then add vinegar, spices and orange peel. Heat over medium-high heat until reduced by about three-quarters (20-25 minutes), then strain and discard solids. Meanwhile, shred meat from bone, add to stock and keep warm.
Cook pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente, add to meat mixture along with butter and toss to combine. Divide among plates, scatter with chives and sesame seeds and serve.