Lemon Chicken FricassÃ©e with Shallots and Morels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- One 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 small shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 pound morels (about 6), quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound pencil-thin asparagus
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
In a large deep skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, add the pieces to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the shallots and morels and cook for 2 minutes. Add the water, cover tightly and simmer over moderately low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, steam the asparagus over 1 inch of water until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the lemon juice and zest to the skillet and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Swirl the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with the asparagus.
* If fresh morels are unavailable, you can substitute 1/2 ounce dried morels reconstituted in 1 cup of boiling water and drained.