- 1 lb cubed stewing beef prepared at Olivier's (Paleron, Chuck or any Shoulder cuts into 2 inches )
- 7 oz lightly smoked bacon bits or bacon strips, cut into small pieces
- 4 oz button mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 18-24 pearl white onions
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of thyme (1 tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 heaped tablespoons flour
- 1 bottle of red burgundy
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Fry the bacon with a little olive oil and butter first until it is golden / slightly crispy and then transfer to a casserole or heavy-bottom saucepan. Cook at moderate heat.
Using the same pan, cook the beef in bacon fat until browned. Remove the beef.
In the same pan, put all the vegetables, herbs and tomato paste. Season well with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Remove fat from the saucepan.
Put the bacon and beef with the vegetable in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with flour and toss everything until lightly coated. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Pour in the wine, enough so that it covers all the ingredients. Stir slightly.
Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 3 hours.
The dish is ready when the fork slides out easily from the beef cubes. Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes. And of course, it is perfect when paired with a great Burgundy wine.