Beer-Marinated Rump Steaks (Top Round)
- Four 8-ounce rump (top round) steaks
- 3 cups stout or other full-bodied dark beer
- Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Â½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Â½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- Â½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Three 2-inch strips orange zest
Place the steaks in a large resealable plastic bag and set aside.
Pour the stout into a medium bowl. When the foam subsides, whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour the marinade into the bag; throw in the orange zest. Refrigerate the steaks for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. The longer the better.
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium-hot cooking.
Remove the steaks from the bag and discard the marinade. Pat the steaks dry using a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper.
Grill the steaks, turning them every couple of minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle reads 135Â° for medium doneness, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the steaks and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.